Job Title: Applications Engineer
Location: Holtsville, NY
Department: Supply Chain
Reports To: Quality Manager
Position Type: Exempt, Full Time
Origination Date: 2/10/17
Revision Date: 3/1/17
The Lighting Industry is going through a major transformation, shifting from traditional lighting to the latest in LED technology. As a result of this transformation, Topaz LED Lamps and Fixtures have experienced tremendous growth with plenty of opportunities for the right candidate.
As the Application Engineer, you will need to serve as the technical knowledge base for innovative LED Lamps products, with a focus on general lighting applications. You will be challenged to utilize your experience, expertise, in-depth product knowledge, and technical aptitude to support the Sales and Marketing team, as well as our customers and distributors with the design-in of our LED Lamps product. You must be comfortable and derive satisfaction from the challenges of combining our products and technical capabilities to deliver significant end results.
We have a fast paced work environment that will require strong organizational skills. You will additionally need to take ownership of challenges as they present themselves and follow the process from start to finish, ensuring that timely support is provided to the customer.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide technical and application support to LED product development and LED projects. Perform application tests, Qualification tests, and data analysis
- Assist Quality Manager in providing technical support and application information to Topaz source inspection team.
- Responsible for providing technical support and solutions to LED lamp/fixture internal and external customers. Help customers resolve their technical and application issues related to LED lamps.
- Carry out First Article Inspections (FAI) ensuring products conform to established fit, form, function requirements in consideration of the Product Management group’s needs. Collaborate with the Product Management group and suppliers on any necessary changes or improvements.
- Be an integral part of Topaz’s supplier management process, provide input on vendor scorecards, and participate in business reviews with key suppliers
- Participate in cross functional projects as required, providing input on quality related matters
- Work collaboratively with the Product Management group on assessing new products, including conducting various tests and product analyses, as required.
- Investigate customer issues, perform root cause analysis and other problem-solving activities, and implement the necessary corrective actions. Maintain a database of customer complaints and analyze data to identify trends.
- Conduct front-end application study. Identify new opportunity for LED Lamps.
- Support our LED growth initiative by providing Marketing information, application knowhow, and customer feedback. Conduct benchmark study.
- Support Customer Service by performing in-depth analysis on Field returns, issuing reports. Also provide technical trainings to internal and external customers.
- Perform Sphere, Spectrometer, colorimeter, and in-site tests per IESNA standards
- Maintain files, standards and laboratory procedures and creating database for engineering quality lab.
- Strong Knowledge of regulatory requirements such as UL, FCC, DLC, Energy Star, IEC, ANSI, IEEE A plus
Required Skills / Qualifications:
•Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in electrical engineering.
•5+ years of working experience in product development, lighting application, and technical field support.
•Must have strong knowledge of electrical circuitry design (both analog and digital). Good understanding of product creation process.
•Proficient in lighting applications & technologies, good technical understanding of lighting products.
•Strong verbal and written communication skills
•Has a desire to listen to customers and present solutions while setting reasonable expectations.
•Must have proficiency in the delivery of presentations.
•An independent and self-motivated learner. Interested in working with customers, enjoy working in a very dynamic and energetic environment.